University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- The Urbana-Champaign campus spends $473,711,000 on research and development in science and engineering annually.
- There are 150 affiliated centers and institutes performing research for government agencies, industry, and campus units.
- 41,495 students at the University of Illinois, in Fall 2009 21% were enrolled in a biology field: 31,173 undergraduate and 10,322 graduate and professional students.
- 3,081 Faculty Members; 1,461 tenured, 521 tenure track, and 1099 other faculty.
- 22 Nobel Prize faculty and alumni winners.
- Total budget in FY2009 is $1.583 Billion for the Urbana-Champaign campus.
Technology Commercialization and Economic Development
- The Offices of Technology Management (OTM) at Chicago and Urbana-Champaign to evaluate, protect and license the University’s intellectual property.
- IllinoisVENTURES LLC which provides funding and business development support for early-stage companies that commercialize technology, inventions and innovations.
- The Research Park at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign provides an environment where technology-based businesses can work with the research faculty and students at UIUC to take advantage of opportunities for collaborative research and easy access to University labs, equipment, and services. Located minutes from central campus, the Research Park is now home to 70 companies and growing, employing more than 1,400 people in high-technology careers. At any given time more than 400 student interns with leading-edge technical skills are working in these companies gaining valuable work experience while making real contributions to internal corporate R&D and product development programs.
The Office of Corporate Relations connects companies with the resources needed from the University to be successful in a rapidly changing business environment.
Whether your company is looking to recruit employees from one of the most talented pools of graduates in the nation, or want to collaborate with innovative scientists and researchers who constantly push the boundaries of knowledge, the Office of Corporate Relations can match your needs with Illinois’s expertise.
There are many opportunities for industry to engage with University of Illinois researchers through funded research, applied research projects, participation in our research centers or the pursuit of collaborative funding opportunities. Confidentiality and intellectual property management are integral to any research interaction enabling our corporate research partners to commercialize the resulting technology. The Office of Corporate Relations can link companies with existing research programs or determine the University can best suit your specific research needs.
Illinois faculty and research scientists are among the world’s most prolific and accomplished. These faculty work in research centers and labs across campus like the Institute for Genomic Biology, Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, and the Energy Biosciences Institute—each part of a rich and complex research infrastructure designed to support innovation, discovery, and development. Facilities, labs, and instrumentation can be made available to companies through Facility Use Agreements with a fee structure based on usage time of the facilities. Technical Testing Agreements can be established for University staffed work on projects for companies using labs and equipment on campus. The Office of Corporate Relations can connect you with the technologists or specialized equipment and services you need and assist with technical testing services agreements, facilities-use agreements, or contractual issues processes. Engaging Students: The Office of Corporate Relations can connect you with our students in a variety of ways, including service learning, internships, mentoring, leadership development, job fairs, and sponsorship of student programs.
Every year, Illinois welcomes business leaders to campus as they enter one of the over 100 professional and graduate programs we offer. University of Illinois offers flexible professional education opportunities that draw on some of the most accomplished, award-winning faculty in the nation. Examples include the on-campus part-time evening MBA program through the College of Business and courses that develop executive leadership skills and training in the latest software packages.