International Trade Specialist at the Illinois Small Business Development Center at Champaign County EDC
Position: International Trade Specialist at the Illinois Small Business Development Center at Champaign County EDC
Reports To: Executive Director, Champaign County Economic Development Corporation & Director, Illinois Small Business Development Center at Champaign County EDC
The SBDC International Trade Specialist will provide one-on-one consulting to Illinois small and medium-sized businesses seeking international trade assistance. This assistance will provide international trade information, preliminary market research for clients, and assist clients in developing an international marketing plan and/or business strategy.
The SBDC International Trade Specialist will dedicate seventy-five percent (75%) of his/her time providing international trade advice to companies and twenty-five percent (25%) in special activities including professional development, developing and leading international trade training programs and seminars, and supporting activities for the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity’s (DCEO) SBDC International Trade Center statewide program. The SBDC International Trade Specialist is further responsible to ensure that all activities under the SBDC International Trade Center grant are fully and properly reported.
The SBDC International Trade Specialist will:
- evaluate export capability and readiness of area companies
- identify and analyze a company’s international trade needs and hurdles
- provide in-depth advice on international trade techniques, the export processes and international market opportunities
- provide advice on pricing, documentation, finance options, shipping and logistics information, translation, foreign market and industry research, tariff schedules, and industry classifications
- conduct market research using appropriate reference material and databases to assist companies to identify international markets with the greatest potential for their product or service
- develop and conduct seminars and workshops on the basics of exporting, international market opportunities and other appropriate topics
- develop and conduct Exporters Forums or similar networking sessions to assist new-to-export companies in developing mentor relationships
- establish and maintain working relationships with federal, state and local governments and private organizations involved in exporting and international trade
- maintain client files with appropriate records, notes, economic impact and other statistical information required in Neoserra
- serve as an outreach partner of the Department of Commerce’s Illinois Office of Trade and Investment (OTI) promoting OTI services, trade shows, and other programs
- B.A. or B.S. degree in Business Administration, International Business, or related field from an accredited institution of higher education; or similar combination of training, experience and education
- 2-3 years of experience in international trade business development with a business or economic development organization
- knowledge of or experience in international trade related activities
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- commitment to maintaining confidentiality and a high degree of accuracy in client records
- foreign language skills
- Certified Global Business Professional (CGBP) designation
Compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications. For full consideration, please submit a letter of interest, resume, and professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4 pm on June 18, 2018.
The Illinois Small Business Development Center at Champaign County EDC is funded through a cooperative agreement between the U.S. Small Business Administration, Illinois Department of Commerce, and the Champaign County Economic Development Corporation; with additional support provided by EDC of Decatur and Macon County and the Midwest Inland Port.
The funding of the Illinois Small Business Development Center at Champaign County EDC is based on yearly agreements and is state grant dependent.
The Champaign County EDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.